Secure Storage, Retention and Release of Medical Records and Photographs
HIPAA and Record Storage and Release
- General Information on Protected Health Information and HIPAA from US Department of Health and Human Services.
- A Health Care Provider's Guide to the HIPPA Privacy Rule: Communicating with a patient’s family, friends, or others involved in the patient’s care from the US Department of Health and Human Services Office for Civil Rights.
- Health information privacy for covered entities and business associates from the US Department of Health and Human Services provides information on record sharing, storage and security.
- Child Welfare Information Gateway information reports on the Disclosure of Confidential Child abuse and neglect records
- Disclosure of confidential child abuse and neglect records
- American Health Information Management Association offers guidance for professionals that are responsible for health information management and the privacy, security and confidentiality challenges that must be addresses
- The Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH), enacted as part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, to promote the adoption and meaningful use of health information technology. Subtitle D of the HITECH Act addresses the privacy and security concerns associated with the electronic transmission of health information.
U.S. Department of Health & Human Services offers information on Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) for professionals. This site highlights the HHS.gov Privacy Rule, Security Rule, and Enforcement Rule details to ensure the confidentiality, integrity and availability of electronic protected health information.
This Policy Statement is based on the most current regulations provided by the US Department of Health and Human Services regarding Child Abuse, Confidentiality and the Health Insurance portability and Accountability Act.
Information to consider when determining Medical Record retention policy: